Sunday, September 19, 2010

Utube video relating to Jon Kozol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP4lCdUWw3E

I picked this video because Jon Kozol talks to many children that live in such a poor neighborhood. The levels of poverty all across America was shocking to me. All of the children that Kozol talks to live in poor areas with at least drug use, prostitution and violence. The amount of violence that these children witness is heartbreaking. This reading really hit me in a sad and discouraging way. I was thinking that I would like to adopt these kids and take care of them myself! Do something that could help them out in anyway possible.

These children live with psychological disorders that may adults suffer from. As discussed in Kozol's reading, they feel depressed, anxiety, fear, and unsettled living arrangements. When he talks about them criing and not even knowing why, it broke my heart. Children should be able to be just that, "a child".

The living conditions are appalling. The weather condition, the roaches, the rats, I can' even imagine what they go through everyday! They live in the slums of their state, and do not even have a choose because they are just children.

43 Million Americans live under the poverty line all across America. I was surprised to learn this. Jon Kozol really opened my eyes to the effects of poverty in the lives of the children in those areas in New York.

On a more positive note, I went through multiple videos about foundations that help children and their families all across our country. One web sight was called  "Bread For The World". It touch's on ways we can help, things that are tring to be done, and ways of nutrition for our families. I added the link if you would like to check it out!
http://www.bread.org/hunger/us-poverty-solutions/

No comments:

Post a Comment