Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oaks and Finn 'Reflection'

    The article that was written by Jeannie Oaks brought some good points and ideas that I found interesting. This is an article about the use of tracking in our children's education. Is it a positive aspect or a negative system that is another part of stereotyping. There are two different views that people feel toward the subject. One is that the students that are advanced, should be in a higher, separate class then the average and below children. On the other hand, some people feel that tracking is an important part of their education. The above average students need to be separated from the others, because they need room to excel in their education.

    I feel that after reading this article, that they do have some valid points in each standpoint.I am a person that feels each child deserves the same opportunities as the next. If we do not give these children a fighting chance, then how do we know they can not achieve the same outcome in life.  I do not agree with the idea that intelligence is only developed at an early age. That the outcome for success is not a probable factor. This is a form of stereotyping in our schools. Learning is a life journey, life, not just elementary school. I am not totally against some form of higher education for some students. Maybe a class once a day, or a after school group. This would still keep some parents with excelled children happy to some extent.

      When my son was in Middle School, they divided the children into four groups. My son said it was the smart kids, the good kids, the ok kids, and the dumb kids. The named the groups after animals. He was in the 'good kids group', that's what he said. I was disturbed that they did this type of stereotyping in his school. The children in the lower groups must feel awful about their 'lack of achievement', so why would they have any inspiration to really care and try for their success in education. I actually brought it up in a meeting I had to go to, and asked his teachers why they do this. They said it was not their idea, but a standard that they are made to go by. I was not fulfilled at all with their answers, but I am only one parent who does not agree.
      I found the article written by Patrick J. Finn to be a bit difficult to understand in the beginning of the reading. While I read on, I began to figure out what he was trying to express to his readers. The difference in a persons success in life is determined on the type of education that they receive, the level of literacy. If a child is given a 'higher literacy education', then they are more than likely to have a rich, powerful. ans successful life. If they have a 'low form' of literacy and education, then they will be a part of the  middle class, or poor society.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDzcvyatgw
He is a teacher that tries to provide a strong foundation in education to all of his students. He feels that this will help in the future of all of their life goal;s in life. I found it interesting to see that he had included Jon Kozol's book in his writing.  He made great connections to the idea of inequality being a huge part of the problem that faces these children's education. He also reminded me of Lisa Delpit because he has a strict teaching style. He lets the students know and understand that this is how he wants things done, no questions asked.
    I feel the both of these articles made excellent points, both discussing the stereotyping that is done in our schools, and everyday life. If we challenge these obstacles, maybe we can make a difference in this issue.
    I think that in class we should discuss the ways that we can prevent this stereotyping working in our own classrooms. If we have a good understanding of the problem, we could become the impact on our children's lives. It begins with the parents and Educators!!!


    
   

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the points you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first picture is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your thought of learning being a life long journey. You continue to learn on and on, no matter how old you are. Sure, you get your skills at an early age, but it doesn't mean you can't still learn.

    ReplyDelete